Good day to all Skeet enthusiasts,
As we begin the new school year, we would love to invite you to consider joining us and learning an exciting sport unique to schools in our area. There have been some changes for this year that we’d like to share with you. There is a lot of information enclosed, so please read this entire email and save for future reference.
First: Let me thank Coach David Jordan who had the vision and started this Skeet Shooting Team five years ago. He is stepping down and I will be taking over as Coach after being his assistant for the past five years. I will have the help of our school resource officer Mike Robinson, a retired Gaston County Police Officer. I am certified as a shotgun and handgun instructor by the NRA – National Rifle Association and NSSA – National Skeet Shooting Association, the foremost Skeet shooting, and instruction agency in the country.
We are opening new shooter signups for our 2019-2020 Skeet Shooting team! We will participate in skeet shooting and competitions through USAYESS, an organization dedicated to youth scholastic shooting sports. USAYESS is designed to promote and perpetuate opportunities for young athletes to safely and enjoyably participate in a high-quality, team-based sport. The GCS Skeet team is led by certified/trained and dedicated coaches in a supportive environment that focuses on the safe handling and use of firearms, discipline, responsibility, and teamwork.
Students will be able to gain a unique opportunity by participating in Skeet shooting. Like other team sports, there are more than 200 universities which offer shooting programs, college teams and scholarships. Partnering with companies such as MidwayUSA, we have created an endowment fund with opportunities for students that otherwise would not exist. This team sport can also put students on the road to National and International competitions as well as Olympic teams!
We will have a standing practice each Tuesday when we have a full day of school (no practice on half days, workdays or school closures). Students needing a ride will meet in front of the HS building directly after 8th period and ride the bus to Rankin Lake, Skeet/Trap Shooting Range. We should finish at 5:15 pm and any student that needs a ride back to the school can ride the bus and arrive at GCS at/or about 5:30 pm.
All new student shooters (age 13 and older) participating will need to apply to the team with a few required items:
1. Teacher or current team member recommendation letter/email. Letters may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered to me in my office in the gym.
2. All applying students will be approved by their principal for behavior and grades, and then evaluated by me. All Skeet team members are required to follow sports team academic standards as listed in the Handbook.
3. Once approved, students will send in check for $150 made payable to Gaston Christian School for the first-semester range and ammo fees. The second half dues of $150 are due upon return to school on January 7th. If you prefer to raise funds, we have several Browning Hunting Knife sets at $45 ea which can be sold (must sell at least 3 sets) in lieu of the semester payment. Please see me, Coach Matolka or Officer Robinson for more details.
All returning shooters:
1. Required dues for all shooters to help with the expenses of range, firearms and ammo fees are due by September 24th – students can send in check for $150 made payable to Gaston Christian School for the first-semester range and ammo fees. The second half dues of $150 are due upon return to school on January 7th. If you prefer to raise funds, we have several Browning Hunting Knife sets at $45 each which can be sold (must sell at least 3 sets) in lieu of the semester payment. Please see me, Coach Matolka or Officer Robinson for more details.
Lastly, all shooters, new and old, will be required to register as a USAYESS shooter. This registration provides insurance and team validation for us. Registration requires a Credit Card/Debit Card payment of $37.05.
Here are the updated links from what I can see on the website:
These forms must be on file before range day:
Our home range is: Rankin Lake Skeet & Trap Range
Our Team number is: 461357
Our Team name is: Gaston Christian Shooting Sports
Once a student has been approved and registered, we will conduct a mandatory safety & range etiquette class on Monday, 9-9-2019 with a makeup date of Thursday 9-12-2019 at 3:15p in the H/S media center before they are allowed to shoot on the range. This training will last approximately one and a half hours.
– We would love to have some parental help this year with snacks – H2O – Gatorade for practices.
– Some shooters have their own firearm that needs to be transported to the range; Please let me know if you can help out with this.
– Any parent interested in helping coach the team is welcome to contact me for details and information.
If you have not signed up for the Hyper Notice/text yet, please do as this will be the way I communicate with you and our shooters. (see attachment)
Please let me know if you have any questions, 704.685.4727, thank you for your participation in our Skeet team, we are looking forward to a fun year learning this sport that your shooter will be able to use for the rest of their lives!
Director of Operations